1/22/2012 07:30:00 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
One Sunday morning, Rabbi Rabbinovitz goes to visit Samuel Lyons. "Shalom, Sam. I’ll come straight to the point. I’ve come here because our synagogue needs your help. You’ve been a member for over 20 years and I realise that you’re always quick to pay your membership fees in full. But as you are aware, we are in a financial crisis. I've come here to ask you for a little extra for the new school building fund." "How much are you looking to get from me - how big is little?" asks Sam. "I’ll be honest. £10,000 would be a tremendous help to us," replies the Rabbi." Sam responds, "Rabbi, my daughter Rebecca is soon getting married and she has asked me for £25,000 to help her buy that house she saw in Hampstead. And my son David is just starting at Manchester University and he wants £25,000 to see him through the difficult first year there. My wife Sadie wants a hysterectomy and she has asked for £30,000 for the doctors’ fees and in-patient facilities. And that’s not all. You know from your own experience that to keep my mother in a nursing home, they are asking £35,000. So Rabbi, if I can say 'no' to them, I can say 'no' to you."

0 comments:

Web Analytics